Glaciated Landscape System
- Ice Ages
- Freeze thaw (frost shattering)
- U-shaped valley
- Pyramidal Peaks
- Ribbon Lakes
Which areas are glaciated? - UK
Upland areas in Scotland, North Wales and Northern England
Glacial erosion is PAF!
Case Study - Helvellyn, Peak District
Helvellyn, an area of upland glacial scenery
Lake District, north-west England.
Formed between 100 000 and 10 000 years ago.
Helvellyn - Mountain Red Tarn and Blea Tarn - Lake/tarn and Corrie Striding Edge - Arete
Impact of humans:
Conflict between tourists and other land users e.g. farmers.
Tourists - erosion and over crowding
Limestone (Karst) Scenery
- Calcium carbonate
- Chemical weathering
- Swallow (sink) hole
Which areas contain limestone scenery?
Malham Cove, Yorkshire Dales
Castleton, Peak District
What might the examiner ask?
- Name a National Park, nature of a National Park
- Why increased use
- Descriptions of glaciated/limestone landscapes
- Explanation in terms of inputs and processes
- Explain the formation of a particular feature of glacial or karst scenery
- Definitions of terms